A NATO air strike intended for Muammar Gaddafi’s forces killed 13 rebel fighters in eastern Libya instead, the opposition said Saturday. Opposition spokesman Abdel-Hafidh Ghoga said the slain fighters were hit Friday night as they moved forward, attempting to take back the oil city of Brega, while air strikes were in progress. Seven fighters were injured
NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said the alliance was investigating, and appeared to suggest that its aircraft on patrol had encountered ground fire and had retaliated.
Mohammad Bedrise, a doctor in a nearby hospital, said three burned bodies had been brought in by men who said they had been hit after firing a heavy machine gun in the air in celebration. Idris Kadiki, a 38-year-old mechanical engineer, said he had seen an ambulance and three cars burning after an airstrike.
NATO is also investigating whether other Coalition air strikes have killed civilians in western Libya, as the Libyan government claims.
Seven civilians died and 25 were hurt in a coalition air strike on a pro-Gaddafi convoy in eastern Libya, a doctor there has told the media.
Dr Suleiman Refardi said Wednesday’s raid happened when the strike hit a truck carrying ammunition, and the resulting explosion destroyed two nearby homes. All the dead were between the ages of 12 and 20, Refardi said.
There were also reports last month of nine people, who Afghan officials said were children collecting firewood, being killed in a NATO air strike in eastern Kunar province.
A NATO air strike has hit rebels again, reports saying as many as 13 people were killed. This comes as U.K. Officials are already investigating Libyan claims that British planes destroyed the Arab State’s largest oil field, killing at least 3 guards.