#1 Source for Leaks Around the World!

Archive for December 7th, 2012|Daily archive page

Vote Bradley Manning for The Guardian Person of the Year 2012

In Bradley Manning, Manning, News, WikiLeaks, World Revolution on December 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM

AS OF 12/07/2012 8PM EST

12/07/2012

The Guardian asked readers to nominate their Person of the Year for 2012. Today they released the top six choices, and Bradley Manning was one of them, the others being Malala Yousafzai, Pussy Riot, Danny Boyle, Fabiola Gianotti and Nate Silver. With less than 24 hours before voting closes, Bradley Manning is leading with 50%.

Vote for Bradley Manning here to make him The Guardian’s Person of the Year 2012!

U.S. Moves Warships to Monitor North Korea Rocket Launch

In News, North Korea, Other Leaks on December 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

12/07/2012

RT:

US warships are heading towards North Korea to get the “best situational awareness” prior to a controversial planned rocket launch. The communist state hopes to launch a satellite into orbit, allegedly using technology banned by the UN.

Washington is keeping tabs on North Korea’s proposed rocket launch this month by sending warships equipped with advanced radar and other ballistic missile defense systems to the region.

The US military will be watching the planned launch “very closely,” Navy Admiral Samuel J. Locklear III said. Locklear added that any launch of long-range missiles would violate United Nations Security Council resolutions.

The move comes after Pyongyang showed no signs of aborting what will be its second rocket launch this year, with a launch date set for between December 10th and 22nd.

Satellite pictures revealed that snowfall may have prevented Pyongyang from preparing the rocket for launch, according to GeoEye satellite images provided to AP. However, unnamed officials in Seoul said that all three stages of the ‘Unha’ rocket had been successfully mounted on the launch pad by Wednesday.

The US and other nations claim the launch is a cover to test long-range missile technology banned under UN resolutions. Pyongyang insists that the launch is solely to put a satellite into orbit.

North Korea launched a similar rocket in April 2012, which crashed into the waters off the Korean peninsula shortly after liftoff.

Previously, Japan announced it would shoot down the North Korean missile if it appeared to threaten Japanese security. Tokyo has issued an order to its military to shoot down any rocket debris that infringes on its territory.

The Japanese Navy has deployed two Patriot Advanced Capability-3 batteries on board the JDS Kunisaki on the island of Ishigaki, located roughly 400 kilometers southwest of Okinawa. Patriot systems are also being deployed on Okinawa.

Based on coordinates provided by Pyongyang, the rocket is expected to fly south, with its stages dropping into the sea west of the Korean peninsula and then east of the Philippines.

The launch window includes two key dates that may be motivating the increased surveillance: December 17 is the first anniversary of the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, and South Korea’s presidential election takes place on December 19.

North Korea has yet to successfully launch a three-stage rocket, despite making four attempts since 1998. It is believed to be working on the development of a long-range missile capable of reaching the west coast of the US mainland.

North Korea has invested about $480 million in its upcoming rocket launch, South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung Hwan told legislators this week. Seoul estimates that the launch site cost $400 million, with another $50 million for parts manufacturing near Pyongyang and $30 million for the satellite itself, Hwan said

North Korea’s military arsenal includes Scud, Rodong and Musudan missiles. The Musudan has a range of more than 3,000 kilometers and can carry a 650-kilogram warhead, according to South Korea’s defense ministry.

Notorious B.I.G. Autopsy Report Released After 15 Years

In News, Other Leaks on December 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

12/07/2012

AP:

An attorney for the family of Notorious B.I.G. said Friday it’s ridiculous that Los Angeles police have not arrested anyone for the rapper’s 1997 killing, which has returned to the spotlight after coroner’s officials released a long-sealed autopsy report.

The report revealed that injuries cause by a single bullet killed the rapper, whose real name was Christopher Wallace, during a drive-by shooting in March 1997. Wallace was hit by four bullets after leaving a music industry event, but one that hit his heart, left lung and colon caused his death, the 23-page report states.

Perry Sanders Jr. said he was not given any notice that the report would be released, and he criticized police for not closing one of Los Angeles’ highest-profile unsolved murders, especially since he had been told that police had identified those responsible.

“I’ve been advised by the homicide detective that was in charge of the investigation and is no longer with the department that the crime has been solved for several years now,” Sanders told The Associated Press. “This was confirmed by at least one other person who is currently on the force, and it is ridiculous that an arrest has not been made for a crime that’s allegedly been solved for several years.”

Both Los Angeles police and the FBI investigated Wallace’s killing, which came just months after another rap superstar, Tupac Shakur, was gunned down in Las Vegas. The FBI looked into whether any Los Angeles police officers were involved in Wallace’s shooting.

The deaths of Wallace and Shakur have been the subject of rampant speculation about the motives. The one-time friends became rivals and instigators in an East Coast-West Coast rap rivalry during the mid-1990s.

A 2011 book by former Los Angeles police detective Greg Kading claimed both murders had been solved, although no arrests have been made and federal prosecutors in 2005 declined to file charges after a lengthy, bi-coastal investigation. Wallace is from the New York City borough of Brooklyn.

Police spokesman Richard French declined to comment, saying Wallace’s killing remained an open investigation.

The coroner’s report had been sealed for more than 15 years until police lifted a hold on it last week, Chief Coroner Investigator Craig Harvey said. The report details the trajectory of each of the shots that hit the rapper and states there were no signs of alcohol or drugs in his system when he died.

Sanders, who dropped a federal civil lawsuit against the city in 2010 in order to give investigators an opportunity to investigate further, said solving the case was more important than any lawsuit.

“In no way shape or form is this about civil litigation,” he said. “This is about the criminal justice system and it functioning properly.”

The lawsuit Sanders filed on behalf of Wallace’s family and widow Faith Evans ended in a mistrial in 2005 after attorneys discovered the city withheld a trove of LAPD documents.

The civil case could be refiled, although that has not yet occurred.

In March 2011, the FBI electronically released files on its investigation, which were heavily redacted but shed new light on the efforts that investigators took to try to find those responsible for the rapper’s death. Agents conducted surveillance and interviews in Los Angeles, San Diego and New York, the files showed.

The FBI referred all questions on the case to Los Angeles police.

Richard O’Dwyer Speaks in New York After Paying £20,000 Fine

In News, NWO, Other Leaks, Police State, Science & Technology on December 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM

12/07/2012

TorrentFreak:

The epic battle to stop UK student Richard O’Dwyer being extradited to the United States is finally over. His excited mother Julia contacted TorrentFreak from New York with news that all necessary paperwork had been signed and that a brief court appearance had effectively ended legal action against her son. Richard thanks all those who supported him and says he is looking forward to getting his life back on track.

 

In 2011, Richard O’Dwyer was arrested by police in the UK for his part in the operations of TVShack, a site that listed user-submitted links to TV-shows.

Ever since the student and his mother, Julia, have been fighting an extradition battle to the U.S., where authorities wanted him put on trial for criminal copyright infringement offenses.

In March this year UK Home Secretary Theresa May approved the extradition request from US authorities. But seemingly against all the odds, last month it was announced that a deal had been struck to avoid Richard being tried in the United States.

The so-called deferred judgment agreement requires that Richard does not breach copyright in the future and orders him to pay compensation to rights holders. That amount was revealed today as £20,000, which represents the profits generated by TVShack between December 2007 and November 2010.

The agreement itself was hammered out between Richard’s legal team and U.S. authorities last week, but would not be completed until the student had appeared in court in the United States in a hearing scheduled for this week.

A few hours ago came the news that everyone had been waiting for, delivered by Richard’s mother who has worked tirelessly to fight the extradition.

“In New York now,” Julia told TorrentFreak. “Have just been to the court for sign off of deferred prosecution agreement…..so no extradition! Woo !”

Speaking outside the court with The Guardian, Richard said that the procedure had been very swift.

“The judge read out the terms of the deferred prosecution and I agreed to them and that was that,” he said.

While Richard said that he was very pleased that the U.S. government had decided to drop the case against him, he protested his innocence and criticized the UK government for doing little to help him.

“I still believe that I never committed any crime,” he said. “It really is a pity that the UK government didn’t try and resolve this without us having to come all the way over.”

That sentiment was echoed by Julia, who is thankful that the ordeal is now over but is disappointed by the inaction of the UK government.

“It’s just a pity that the British authorities couldn’t have allowed us to sort this out in the UK in a similar manner,” she said.

Of course, while the matter is now effectively over, there has still been a human cost.

“It’s been quite destructive to life really,” she said. “It messes up your finances, it messes up your relationships and causes stress.”

Offering a “a big thank you” to everyone who supported him throughout his ordeal, Richard said he was hoping to get back to normality soon.

“I’m just looking forward to getting back to university really, and seeing all my friends,” he said, but not before “a little celebration tonight.”

Richard and Julia will fly back to the UK today and will no doubt be looking forward to a peaceful Christmas – together, as a family.

%d bloggers like this: