#1 Source for Leaks Around the World!

Archive for February 16th, 2013|Daily archive page

Bahrain Police Disperse Funeral Procession with Tear Gas, Stun Grenades

In Bahrain, Bahrain, News, OpBahrain, World Revolution on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

02/17/2013

Violent clashes broke out in Bahrain at the funeral of a teenager killed in protests marking the anniversary of the revolt of the Shiite majority against the ruling monarchy. The procession was blocked and dispersed with stun grenades and tear gas.

­Scuffles erupted after armed security forces blocked access to Hussein al-Jaziri’s funeral in the village of Daih on Saturday. The authorities used stun grenades and tear gas to push out those who came to pay their respects.

Thousands of people attended the funeral after which the crowd of protesters marched on “Pearl Square” in Manama, the center point of the 2011 uprising.

Several people sustained injuries when police fired tear gas to disperse them, local witnesses report.

In the village of Sanabis west of the capital, local witnesses reported police using force to disperse a crowd hurling rocks and petrol bombs. Police fired tear gas during clashes with the protests.

Saturday’s events are the latest in a series of tussles between Shiite protesters and the authorities since Thursday, when the country’s opposition marked the second anniversary of revolt in the small island nation hosting the US fifth fleet.

The violence escalated following the death of a teenager on Thursday who was shot by security forces during protests against the kingdom’s rulers. One policeman was also killed in that clash.

Although Thursday’s march had been authorized, Bahrain’s information minister Samira Rajab told RT that the killed teenager, along with a group of provocators, were in a forbidden zone “heading towards the police” with Molotov cocktails in their hands.

Two police officers had been placed in “preventive detention” in connection with this week’s events.

On Friday violence erupted after a crowd blocked a highway linking a number of Shiite villages to the capital.

Earlier authorities announced the arrest of four people in an overnight assault on law enforcement that wounded four policemen.

Bahrain’s two-year struggle has taken an estimated 80 lives, with torture and illegal detention allegations also brought against the regime by human right advocates.

On February 10 the Sunni dominated government started talks with Shiite opposition in order to fulfill oppositions’ demands for democratic reforms.

Via RT

Bahrain Funeral 1 Bahrain Funeral 2 Bahrain Funeral 3 Bahrain Funeral 4 Bahrain Funeral 5 Bahrain Funeral 6

Assange’s $4.5 Million Lockdown: UK Police Spending Huge Sums on 24-Hour Patrol

In News on February 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM

02/16/2013

British police have already spent some $4.5 million in patrolling for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, eight months into his confinement at the Ecuadoran Embassy in London, Scotland Yard says.

­Some $3.5 million of that cost was salary for the police officers patrolling the embassy; the rest is overtime payments.

A 24-hour watch on the embassy was imposed in June, after the whistleblower secretly went there to request asylum.

On June 19, Assange fled the London home where he was under the house arrest and breached his bail conditions by escaping to the Ecuadorian Embassy, where he applied for political asylum. London police immediately cordoned off the building, and a round-the-clock police patrol has been stationed outside the embassy ever since.

The Ecuadoran government is concerned with the significant cost of the affair to British taxpayers, a spokesperson for the embassy said.

“However, we believe this expenditure could be avoided if the UK Government would provide the undertakings that the Ecuadorian government has sort that there will be no onward extradition of Julian Assange to the United States,” the spokesperson added.

In June, the UK Supreme Court denied the WikiLeaks founder’s appeal to reopen his extradition case, meaning he would be extradited to Sweden where he is wanted for questioning for sex crime allegations.

Fearing that upon his extradition to Sweden he would be immediately re-extradited to the US – where his lawyers say he may face the death penalty – Assange fled his house and requested political asylum from Ecuador.

Although the asylum was granted in August, the whistleblower still remains holed up at London’s Ecuadorean Embassy, as the UK has denied him safe passage out of the country.

Via RT

Photo of Palestinian Children Killed by IDF Wins World Press Photo Award

In News on February 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM

01/16/2013

A picture of two Palestinian children killed in an Israeli airstrike has won the 2012 World Press Photo award. And as if to further prove the danger to the region’s youth, an IDF sniper has posted a photo of a child in his rifle’s scope to Instagram.

­A procession of wailing men carrying two Palestinian children to their funeral, captured with the click of a camera, has won the 2012 World Press Photo.

The photo was taken by the Swedish photographer Paul Hansen, working for the Dagens Nyheter newspaper.

Taken in Gaza on November 20, 2012, the photo shows a group of men marching the dead bodies of a brother and sister, wrapped in white cloth, through the city. The piece portrays what became a common scene on the ground during Israel’s eight-day military conquest, Operation Pillar of Defense, against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

One of photojournalism’s most prestigious competitions, the World Press Photo awarded work this year in nine categories to 54 photographers of 32 nationalities.

This prize is the highest honor you can get in the profession,” Hansen said, “I’m very happy, but also very sad. The family lost two children and the mother is unconscious in a hospital.

In all, 103,481 images were submitted for the contest by 5,666 photographers from 124 countries.

Hansen was given a  €10,000 prize and an exhibition in April in Amsterdam.

Via RT

Facebook Got Hacked Last Month and is Just Telling You Now

In News on February 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

02/15/2013

Facebook just announced that it was hacked last month in a short statement on its website. Apparently, an unknown number employees visited a compromised developer site and were infected with malware. Facebook’s being very cagey about all this, but we’ve been able to scrounge up some details.

According to the statement, the company reacted swiftly with an investigation and remediation following the “sophisticated attack.” The company won’t say which law enforcement agencies it’s working with. It claims no user data was compromised.

What a surprise, Facebook waited until the end of the day on a Friday to tell us about an oopsies.

Here’s the full statement from the company.

Last month, Facebook Security discovered that our systems had been targeted in a sophisticated attack. This attack occurred when a handful of employees visited a mobile developer website that was compromised. The compromised website hosted an exploit which then allowed malware to be installed on these employee laptops. The laptops were fully-patched and running up-to-date anti-virus software. As soon as we discovered the presence of the malware, we remediated all infected machines, informed law enforcement, and began a significant investigation that continues to this day. We have no evidence that Facebook user data was compromised in this attack

We’ve reached out to the company for additional comment regarding the nature of the hack and other details. We’ll update when we hear back. [Facebook]

Update:

Facebook responded to our request for comment with the following. The company says it isn’t commenting further at this time.

We were able to investigate user data compromise [sic] by forensic analysis on the affected devices and infrastructure.

Via Gizmodo

Related Link: Facebook Targeted by Sophisticated Hackers, No Evidence User Data Compromised

Facebook Pic of Toy Mortar Leads to Armed Cops Raid

In News on February 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM

02/16/2013

When you make your Facebook profile picture that of Action Man (aka the British G.I. Joe), it can be a clue to your fascination with fantasy.

It also suggests that if there’s a toy mortar in the background of the picture, that, too, might actually not be entirely real.

Please try telling that to the five carloads of police who raided Ian Driscoll’s house in Tewkesbury, England, armed with guns and a search warrant.

“The Action Man looked a bit like me, so I decided to put it as my Facebook picture. I didn’t even notice the mortar in the background,” 43-year-old Driscoll explained to the Daily Mail.

The image offered more clues as to the mortar’s unreality. There was a TV remote control by its side. It offered what some might call scale and perspective.

Sadly, perspective is not always something the police embrace with anything other than loaded arms.

“It’s tiny and quite clearly a toy. I can’t stop laughing. I think it’s hilarious,” Driscoll told the Mail.

The police did manage to see the funny side, but only after reportedly telling him that he was lucky he was at home, otherwise they would have been forced to break down his front door.

They didn’t even seem to have considered that this profile picture had been up for a month.

It isn’t clear which wise “friend” of Driscoll’s contacted the police to tell them of his arms cache. It might have been polite of this person to at least own up to the marginal over-reaction.

A representative for the Gloucestershire police told the Mail: “We are sure that the community would rather we acted quickly on information given to us of this nature, in case it had turned out to be a weapon.”

Many will be glad of the police’s confidence in this matter. Perhaps a phone call to Driscoll might have obviated the necessity for a raid.

Still, it is heartening that he has stood his ground and continued to make believe that he is really Action Man.

The profile picture, with mortar in the background, is still on his Facebook page today.

Via CNET

%d bloggers like this: